Regular Price: $20.99
Current Price: $3.99
Tap on a feature to learn more.
iPad, iPhone, Android, Kindle Fire, Mac, and Windows.
First-rate scholars and preachers on four interpretive approaches to Paul and Romans
Pauline scholarship is a minefield of differing schools of thought. Those who teach or preach on Paul can quickly get lost in the weeds of the various perspectives. How, then, can pastors today best preach Paul’s message?
Scot McKnight and Joseph B. Modica have assembled this stellar one-stop guide exploring four major interpretive perspectives on the apostle Paul: Reformational, New, Apocalyptic, and Participationist. First elucidated by a scholarly essay, each perspective is then illuminated by three sermons expositing various passages from Paul’s magisterial letter to the Romans.
Coming from such leading figures as Richard Hays, James Dunn, Fleming Rutledge, and Tom Schreiner, these essays and sermons splendidly demonstrate how each perspective on Paul brings valuable insights for preaching on Romans.
[Table of Contents]
Interpretive Perspectives on the Apostle Paul
1. Romans and the “Lutheran” Paul: Stephen Westerholm
2. Romans and the New Perspective: Scot McKnight
3. Romans and the Apocalyptic Reading of Paul: Douglas A. Campbell
4. Romans and the Participationist Perspective: Michael J. Gorman
Preaching Romans: Sermons
5. Romans as Ecclesial Theology: Building Multiethnic Missional Churches: Michael F. Bird
6. God Justifies the Ungodly: Romans 4:1–8: Thomas R. Schreiner
7. The Transforming Reality of Justification by Faith: Romans 5:1–5: Carl R. Trueman
8. The Balance of Already/Not Yet: Romans 8:1–17: James D. G. Dunn
9. This Changes Everything: Romans 5:12–21: Tara Beth Leach
10. Pass the Peace by Faith: Romans 4:1–4, 13–17: Scot McKnight
11. Immortal Combat: Romans 1:16–17 and 5:12–14: Jason Micheli
12. In Celebration of Full Communion: Romans 3:21–24: Fleming Rutledge
13. Old Adam, New Adam; Old World, New World; Old You, New You: Romans 5:12–21: William H. Willimon
14. Death Becomes Her: Romans 6:1–14: Timothy G. Gombis
15. Made New by One Man’s Obedience: Romans 5:12–19: Richard B. Hays
16. Breathing Well: Romans 8:12–30: Suzanne Watts Henderson
17. Implications: Joseph B. Modica